Friday, April 29, 2011

Nissan Call # 15 ticket number 713-XXXX

This call was not one of my more shining moments.  In fact, I become so enraged that I was actually foaming at the mouth.  This may be the angriest that I have been in my entire lifetime.  In 33 (nearly 34) years, I have NEVER been so angry that I foamed at the mouth.  At one point, it was actually difficult to talk there was so much.

As a result, I don't remember too much of this conversation.  I only remember the point at which I completely lost it.

I received a phone call @ 6:19pm.

The call lasted 42min:59sec.

Representative:  Lindsay Stevens  877-664-2738 option 4 then ext. 457271

Lindsay was asked to take on my file from Rebecca as a point of escalation.  She had also spoken with Helena about the file.

At the very beginning of this conversation, Lindsay stated that after reviewing the file Nissan didn't feel that it had an obligation to help me out.  And then she started talking... I honestly have no recollection of what she said next because this is the point where I totally lost it.  I kept trying to interrupt her because she made the statement that because I had the catalytic converters replaced by non-Nissan mechanic and they failed that they would not replace the engine.  I kept trying to interrupt over and over again, but she just kept talking and was completely un-phased by my speaking.

I was like SHE HAS ME ON MUTE!!

I was on my cell phone (a droid) which has a touch screen.  At some point my face (which was VERY warm) must've activated the mute button on the touch screen.  It was ME who muted ME, not her.   So, it took me a few minutes to regroup.  I took myself off of mute and said, can I interrupt?

And then I started shouting about how it's been 5 weeks, those catalytic converters were replaced in an attempt to try to fix the ones that were original to the car and had broken up and shot into the engine.  That the converters currently on the car had only 100 miles on them and that the car was already messed up before they were put on. That THESE converters WERE NOT YET RUINED!! (Unless of course the 1/2 tank of gas and 2qts of oil that the engine blew through them ruined them.) And how could they not stand behind their products.  This problem was a result of their faulty design and particles from the broken up pre-cats were breaking up and blowing back into the engine causing damage to the piston rings, poor compression, and oil consumption and subsequently a blown engine.  I yelled about  how I could send them pages and pages and pages of HUNDREDS of complaints all classically illustrating the problems that I have had with this car and that they DO IN FACT replace engines that are out of warranty and past 80,000 miles.  I went on like this for awhile.  I told them about this blog, and that if they did not do something to remedy the issue with my car that I WOULD NEVER buy another Nissan again and that I would tell everyone I ever saw to never buy a Nissan.  I told them I contacted the NTSB and filed a complaint because I could have been severely injured when my car stopped operating suddenly.  I told them I would contact my local news, the attorney general, and post on every public forum that I could find about my experience.

At some point she said something that I interpreted as "I work with the Nissan Lease department".  And  I was like if you don't fix this, you can forget me leasing anything!!!!

But what she was trying to say, which became clear later when I was able to hear again was that she normally works with the Nissan LEAF customers. So, she was trying to tell me that she wasn't as familiar with this issue as she could be.

Then she told me that she would be in the office tomorrow and would do some more research on my case.  That she would like to escalate it and that she sees that Rebecca had a note in the file that she attempted to contact the Regional Operations Manager, but that there was no note that he ever got back toher.

So, I was like, "Wait.  At the beginning of this call, you told me Nissan wasn't willing to help with this case.  But now you're telling me there was never any answer given by the regional operations manager.??"

So, she said that based on the information she had at that time that they would be denying the claim.  But more information came to light during our phone conversation and with my permission she would like to take over my file and escalate it.  OBVIOUSLY, I agreed.  And I recognize that these representatives have almost CERTAINLY taken ASLAN training because we had to take it at work.  And I kind of resented the fact that she was able to charm me like a snake... part of it was that I felt a little guilty for flipping out... and the other part is that she is actually quite excellent at what she does.  Kudos to her.  I was really crabby. Dare I say, I was a downright foaming at the mouth bitch?

We agreed that I would pull the paperwork that I could find together and I would scan and email it to her on Monday.  And she promised that she would call me on Monday. She offered to call tomorrow, but I'm going to be Spinning Babies at a doula training and likely she wouldn't know much before then anyway.


I also started to cry.  I explained that I just paid off this car.  That I purchased a larger car with the expectation that I would have this car when I started my family.  I am standing on the precipice of doing just that and this car is dead.  I recently had to withdraw 401k funds to pay down debt and that I was not in a position to be buying another car.  I also should not HAVE to be buying another yet!  How can they do this to people when Nissan knows that this is a problem.

I then pointed out that there was a recall on the car.  Her records show that my car has no recalls on that VIN.  I said, but CLEARLY if my car is having this problem, Nissan obviously has not isolated all of the cars with the problem! 



She tried politely to interrupt and I really couldn't be stopped.  I absolutely flipped my lid.

I did eventually get a grip.

We clarified some things in the file -- particularly the fact that it was the OTHER ORIGINAL converters that were the problem, not the new OEM purchased from the dealer - newly installed by my local mechanic converters.

She asked if I sent any further documentation to Rebecca about my case. I asked what she was looking for.  I hadn't sent anything.  Basically they are looking for receipts and things for repairs showing I was trying to fix the problem and to document when it started since my work was never done at the dealer.

She was going to give me a fax number, but I requested email since it's easier for me to scan and email them.  I promised her that I would NOT give out her email address.  So, I'm not posting it here, but I do have it.  Apparently, they are not allowed to correspond externally via email, so she will not be able to send me information or case updates that way anyway.  She said that there are only 5 people in her group and that she will be easy to reach.

I was able to find some paperwork, there is probably more in the glovebox of the car, but it is has been hanging out with the other lemons at the Nissan dealership for the last 5 weeks, so I can't exactly check.

Here's what I've found so far:

I know that I first started having problems in September 9, 2008.  The key will be to see if I can find that paperwork.

However, I have the following:

April 28, 2009
Mileage: 67,216
Car had been driving very hard and stalled once.  But when I drove it would shudder and shake like crazy.  Service Engine Light Came on

Replace oil and Filter
Cylinder #2 Misfire - Diagnosed and Replaced coil
Cleaned Spark plugs
K-100 Fuel Additive

Rear Shocks Replaced

The car seemed better when I picked it up, but the next day the service engine light came on briefly, but then went out again.  The car wasn't running as hard as it had been when I first brought it for service.  However, the problem was never truly fixed.  And thus began the trial and error of trying to figure out what the light and codes meant.

June 18, 2010

Mileage from the gas fill up closest to this date:

Purchased OEM parts spark plugs and brake pads.

Replaced spark plugs myself and had the brake pads installed at local mechanic.

July 1, 2010
mileage: 83,189
Change oil, filter, check all fluids, and tire pressure
check for codes:  cylinder 1 misfire
Replace front and rear disc brakes pads and rotors, clean and lube all caliper pins and slides


March 29, 2011 (car picked up on this day, car died on 3/24/11)
mileage: 92,051

check car, will not run
replace crank position sensor and reset computer

replace upstream catalytic converter
replace downstream catalytic converter
change oil and filter, check all fluids, and tire pressure

I'll report back as I find more receipts.

No comments:

Post a Comment